Sutton Hoo & Aldeburgh Day Trip
- Sunday 13th March 2022
- Sutton Hoo & Aldeburgh
We depart early morning and make our way to Sutton Hoo, one of the most important archaeological discoveries ever made. Archaeologists painstakingly brushed away layers of sandy soil to reveal the shape of a ship beneath a mound, and in the centre of the ship they found a burial chamber full of the most extraordinary treasures. Although it took some time to understand what these finds were, and what they meant, the discovery would prove to be an Anglo-Saxon royal burial of incomparable richness and it would revolutionise our understanding of early England.
The artefacts are some of the greatest treasure ever discovered in the United Kingdom. A ceremonial helmet now the face of Anglo Saxon Britain, a shield and sword, a lyre, metalwork dress with fittings in gold and gems and Byzantine silverware. The Anglo Saxon ship burial found in the King’s mound is the richest burial found in Northern Europe.
The find was such a discovery that the story is told in the hit film “The Dig.”
We then go to the wonderful seaside town of Aldeburgh.
Aldeburgh in world-renowned thanks to its connection with Benjamin Britten, the founder of the Aldeburgh Festival, which takes place in June every year. Pastel-coloured 19th Century holiday villas line the promenade and to the eat, the pebble beach is lined with fisherman’s huts selling the daily catch.
The High Street boasts clothes boutiques, antiques and arts, an independent book shop, cinema plus a huge variety of culinary delights, from the rightly renowned fish and chips, to fine bistro dining and, of course, seaside ice cream.
The town gets its name from “Alde” and “Burgh” meaning “Old Fort” and is a former Tudor port given borough status by King Henry VIII himself! The town and its shipbuilders were responsible for the creation of several famous vessels; Sir Francis Drake’s “Golden Hind” and the Virginia Company’s “Sea Adventure” to name but a few.
We depart in the afternoon and make our way back to our pick-up points.
Please note any admissions other than Sutton Hoo are not included.
Itinerary Subject to Change
Luxury Coach Travel
Entry to Sutton Hoo
Free time in Aldeburgh
Children 2-11 years: £26
Infants up to 23 months: £15
Enquire about this Trip...
Our friendly staff are always on hand to help with any queries you may have. To enquire about this excursion, please use the form provided below...
Day Trips & City Breaks
UK Day Trips
- Norwich Day Trip
- Shopping at Springfields Outdoor Shopping Outlet Day Trip
- Lavenham Day Trip with Comical Scrooge Tour & Two Course Supper
- Moreton-in-Marsh and Bourton-on-the-Water Day Trip
- Canterbury Day Trip
- Lincoln Day Trip
- Stratford Upon Avon Day Trip
- Belvoir Castle and Melton Mowbray Day Trip
- Stamford Market & Cruise on Rutland Water Day Trip
- Sutton Hoo & Aldeburgh Day Trip
- Bletchley Park Day Trip
- Salisbury Cathedral Day Trip
- Canterbury Christmas Market Day Trip
- Antiques, Collectables & Beers of Europe Kings Lynn Day Trip
- Braintree Shopping Village Day Trip
- Christmas at Belvoir Castle & Melton Mowbray Day Trip
- Belton House Winter Lights Trail Trip
- Colchester Zoo Day Trip
- UK & European Extended Day Trips
UK & European 2-3 Day Weekend Breaks
- Bristol 2 Day
- Magnificent Castle Howard & Lively Leeds 2 Day Break
- Manchester & Liverpool Great 3 Day City Break
- Newcastle, The Style Capital of the North East 2 Day Break
- London Overnight Specials 2 Day
- Christmas in Paris 3 Day Break
- Christmas in Paris with Disneyland Paris 3 Day Break
- Cardiff & Bath 2 Day Break
- Edinburgh 3 Day Break